Top 3 Digital Marketing Trends
Wondering what are the top 3 digital marketing trends happening this year (2013)? Quite a lot as a matter of fact which is no surprise when it comes to the online world where the pace is fast and environment volatile. It’s nevertheless important for business owners to not only always keep up to date with new trends but to take action fast as well. It’s mid-year 2013 now and what most marketers have predicted to be the next trends for digital marketing is becoming much more evident and obvious.
Let’s explore some of the important emerging trends.
This is probably the number 1 trend with the Internet getting much more integrated with mobile devices.
• Consequently, we’re seeing 30% of search queries happening from mobile devices.
• Mobile traffic accounts for 25% of total website traffic.
• In terms of rates, we saw an increase of 60.3% of internet use via mobile phone for the last 2 years.
Big brands are giving us signals and indication of the importance of mobile marketing:
• Apple App Store is going to be available in 32 more countries soon.
• Microsoft and Nokia are investing 18 million euros for mobile app development over 3 years.
• Another interesting fact is quite contrary to beliefs; mobile apps are still very much alive, with 64% of total mobile usage time spent on apps.
As for advertising itself, from 2011 to 2016, mobile advertising revenue is predicted to grow by 400%.
Social Media Marketing
• LinkedIn: Consequently, the most popular social media channel being used by marketers is LinkedIn with approximately 83% of marketers using it for content distribution.
• Facebook: Facebook continues to grow rapidly, boasting a 1.1 Billion monthly active user.
• Google Plus: While Google Plus is now the second largest social network with 200M+ users.
• Twitter: This year, twitter appears to be the fastest growing social network in terms of monthly active users at an average of 288 Million. The fastest growing age group happens to be between 55 to 64 year olds.
Digital Content Marketing
At the start of 2013, we say content marketing slowly but steadily gain importance. Mid-year, it’s rather definitive that content marketing is here to stay. Consequently, 91% of B2B marketers are using content marketing and 86% for B2C marketers. According to marketers content marketing helps to build brand awareness, lead generation as well as acquire and retain customers.
• B2B marketers are investing 26% of their total budget on content marketing
• ….while smaller businesses go as far as 42%.
• 62% of companies today outsource their content marketing efforts.
Big brands have already embraced content marketing: Coca Cola, Mint.com and AMEX for example. Coca Cola wants to create more storytelling opportunity through content creation, mint.com is seen as a pioneer in successful blog content marketing while AMEX is looking to add value and create resources via content marketing.
Use of content marketing channels by marketers:
• 79% Articles
• 74% Social Media Content
• 65% Blogs
• 63% eNewsletters
• 58% Case Studies
• 52% Videos
• 51% White Papers
• 46% Webminars
There are other areas where change and growing importance is happening; however, we’ve handpicked the top 3 where we see changing trends to share with you here: Mobile Marketing, Social Media Marketing and Digital Content Marketing
Reference: growingsocialmedia.com, smartinsights.com, the-cma.com, dotcominfoway.com